As part of Gov. John Kasich’s Mid-Biennium Review, or mid-term budget, several proposals are being made to programs or regulations at the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture, Ohio EPA and Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources. Ohio Farmers Union members have been particularly interested in the proposal to move the regulation of manure on smaller-scale farms (smaller than CAFOs) from ODNR to ODA.
Proposed state law changes within these departments have been excised from the larger mid-term budget bill to be considered separately in H.B. 490, which is currently under consideration by the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. As of April 10, there have been two hearings on the bill consisting of sponsor testimony from House Ag Chairman David Hall and the committee’s vice-chairman, Rep. Andy Thompson as well as testimony from the three agencies.
We’ll use this page to provide a clearinghouse for documents concerning this bill and some updates about its movement through the legislature. Please also watch the OFU Blog for updates.
**OHIO FARMERS UNION TESTIMONY**
- Legislative Service Commission Bill Analysis – great for getting an overview of the bill without reading the entire text above.
- Legislative Service Commission Fiscal Analysis and Local Impact Statement – overview of the impact of the bill’s effect on state finances
Testimony Given Before House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee
- Sponsor Testimony – Thompson
- Ohio Dept. of Agriculture Testimony – Daniels
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Testimony – Butler
- Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources Testimony – Zehringer